FAQ: Resignation and Crime Provisions

Question: “My agency suspended me indefinitely under the crime provisions. I have 2 questions: a) Can I resign/request removal before my agency completes an investigation? b) If separation is granted(?), would I be able to request full withdrawal of my TSP (roll into IRA)?”

Answer:  Yes.  You can resign from your position in federal service at any time; you do not need agency approval to do this and you do not need the agency to “grant” you a resignation.  However, you would not want to “request removal” because in essence, you are asking to be removed (fired).  Whether you resign or are removed, you retain access to your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP).  TSP is seperate from your agency.

If you do elect to resign, we recommend you document your resignation in writing to the agency and indicated you are resigning for “personal reasons.” Note, if you are not serving on an initial appointment probationary or trial period required by civil service or agency regulations, or you are otherwise serving under an appointment that provides appeal rights, the agency may document “adverse agency findings” on your final SF-50 (notification of personnel action).  These findings, located in the remarks section of the SF-50, may reference the indefinite suspension.  You should seek to negotiate a “clean 50” that would not document these remarks.  Most agency representatives are amenable to such an arrangement.

See All Our FAQ’s

Are you facing a hostile work environment, workplace discrimination, or proposed removal?

Phone: (202) 642-1287
Website: informedfed.com
Twitter: @InformedFed
Our Consulting Services
Hire a Consultant
Informed Fed provides expert administrative consulting services to employees and labor organizations in public sector labor and employee relations matters. At a fraction of the cost of attorneys, and with senior level practitioner expertise, our experts can assist you in arbitration, grievance, FLRA, OSC, MSPB, OSHA, OWCP, EEO, and Alternative Dispute Resolution matters. We also provide direct consultation, IT support, and training to labor organizations. Contact us for a free consultation and case assessment.
The material on this website is intended to provide only general information and comment to the public. Although we make our best efforts to ensure information found on this website is accurate and timely, we cannot, and do not, guarantee the information is either. Nor do we guarantee accuracy of any information contained on websites to which our website provide links.  Do not, under any circumstances, rely on information found on our website as legal advice. It should be considered a general guide. Legal matters are often complicated and fact dependent. For assistance with your specific issue or inquiry please contact your local union, personnel office, or attorney. Consultants offered through this website are not attorneys and are not employees of Informed Fed. They are labor and employee relations practitioners. They provide services to clients in their individual capacities through individual agreements with their clients. Though attorneys are not required for representation in administrative matters or proceedings, there are instances in which our consultants may refer you to attorneys or otherwise make such recommendation. In no instance does this site, or consultants associated with this site, infer the provision of legal services.