FAQ: Recalling Union Officials

Question: “[We] Would like to recall our union officials How do we go about it. What is the procedure?”

Answer:  Most federal union constitutions do not provide, with specificity, for the recall of union officials.  Instead, as evidenced in the AFGE National Constitution at Article XXIII, procedures are usually provided for Offenses, Trials, Penalties, and Appeals.  Through this prescribed process, union members can “prefer charges” against specific officials for specific reasons.  Therefore, it is recommended you consult your local union constitution and by-laws as a starting point. Union’s are required to provide you with this information upon request. If, for some reason, your union does not provide this information to you, you can obtain it from the Department of Labor since union’s (all levels) are required to provide validated and most recent copies to the Office of Labor Management Standards (OLMS) under the Labor Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA).  The Department of Labor makes this information available to the public through it’s website (click here to go to that specific section of the website).  Union members should also review the Union Member Rights and Officer Responsibilities Under the LMRDA information provided by the Department of Labor.

If a union member is alleging a specific breach by the union it its Duty of Fair Representation (DFR) under the Federal Services Labor Management Relations Statute (FSLMRS), he or she should consider filing an Unfair Labor Practice Complaint against the union citing the DFR.  Of course, the most recognized and common method of “recalling” union officials is to vote them out of office.

See All Our FAQ’s

Are you facing a hostile work environment, workplace discrimination, or proposed removal?

Phone: (202) 642-1287
Website: informedfed.com
Twitter: @InformedFed
Our Consulting Services
Hire a Consultant
Informed Fed provides expert administrative consulting services to employees and labor organizations in public sector labor and employee relations matters. At a fraction of the cost of attorneys, and with senior level practitioner expertise, our experts can assist you in arbitration, grievance, FLRA, OSC, MSPB, OSHA, OWCP, EEO, and Alternative Dispute Resolution matters. We also provide direct consultation, IT support, and training to labor organizations. Contact us for a free consultation and case assessment.
The material on this website is intended to provide only general information and comment to the public. Although we make our best efforts to ensure information found on this website is accurate and timely, we cannot, and do not, guarantee the information is either. Nor do we guarantee accuracy of any information contained on websites to which our website provide links.  Do not, under any circumstances, rely on information found on our website as legal advice. It should be considered a general guide. Legal matters are often complicated and fact dependent. For assistance with your specific issue or inquiry please contact your local union, personnel office, or attorney. Consultants offered through this website are not attorneys and are not employees of Informed Fed. They are labor and employee relations practitioners. They provide services to clients in their individual capacities through individual agreements with their clients. Though attorneys are not required for representation in administrative matters or proceedings, there are instances in which our consultants may refer you to attorneys or otherwise make such recommendation. In no instance does this site, or consultants associated with this site, infer the provision of legal services.